Search this site - powered by
In the Beginning
The Long Island Rail Road Station
Maple Grove Cemetery and Vicinity
Homes of Kew
Lefferts Boulevard and Vicinity
Queens Boulevard and Vicinity
Metropolitan Avenue and Vicinity
Kew Garden Apartments
Kew Gardens in the News
PS99 Photographs and More
Where Are They?
Kew Gardens Improvement Association
Links to Other Web Sites of Interest
Pictures dated c. 1905 and 2003
Click images to enlarge
The Surrey Apartments
One of the earliest houses in present day Kew Gardens was built on Church Street (today's 118th Street) just south of Metropolitan Avenue. When the 1905 photograph was taken, that house belonged to the Rev. Robert B. Kimber, son of the Rev. Joshua Kimber who, in 1874, was the founding pastor of the Church of the Resurrection. The Church still stands on 118th Street south of 85th Avenue. As with so many other local landmarks, all that remains today of the Kimber home are black and white pictures. In its place stands the Surrey Apartment House.
Circa 1905 picture courtesy of the Man Family
Church of the Resurrection
Carl Ballenas and Nancy Cataldi, "
Images of America - Richmond Hill
", p. 97 (Arcadia Publ. 2002)