Home About Us Email Us Find It What's New Back Next

Search this site - powered by FreeFind                        
In the Beginning
The Long Island Rail Road Station
Maple Grove Cemetery and Vicinity
Kew Cards
Homes of Kew
Lefferts Boulevard and Vicinity
Queens Boulevard and Vicinity
Metropolitan Avenue and Vicinity
Kew Garden Apartments
Kew Gardens in the News
PS99 Photographs and More

Read Guestbook
Post Message
Guestbook Archives
Where Are They?

Special Feature
Kew Gardens Improvement Association
Links to Other Web Sites of Interest



Pictures dated 1929 and 2008
Click image to enlarge
Newcombe Square

Newcombe Square (also known as Newcombe Triangle) is named in honor of the late Queens District Attorney, Richard Newcombe (1880 - 1930). It's a small triangle shaped traffic island on Queens Boulevard between Kew Gardens Road and 80th Road. The land originally belonged to Daniel Bolmer, but was taken by the City when it widened Queens Boulevard in 1917. The Kew Forest Coach Co. leased the property in 1928 to build a waiting room for its passengers, but Bolmer objected, saying that the tenants in the Kew Bolmer Apartments would move if it went up. According to local historian Ron Marzlock:
"Eventually, the waiting room was built to Bolmer's terms. The building had to be screened with shrubbery and used for no other commercial purpose. The rental was to be on a month-to-month basis. The building was to be built for at least $1,000 and the type that could be demolished within 24 hours. It was to have wicker chairs for the passengers."

  • 1929 photograph and background information courtesy of Ron Marzlock whose bi-weekly column featuring Queens nostalgia and old photographs can be read in The Queens Chronicle

Back  |  Next