Kew Gardens Road|
Pictures c. 1920 and 2002 (click to enlarge)
Until the mid-19th Century, the Kew Gardens/Briarwood section of Queens Boulevard was nothing but marshland and an estuary (inlet). The Boulevard itself did not exist. In those days, only one road connected Jamaica Township to our east with the Town of Elmhurst (then called Newtown) to our west. That road was called Whitepot Road - later, Newtown Road - and it ran through a hilly area just south of the marsh. Today, that hilly area is Kew Gardens, and the road is Kew Gardens Road. During Kew Gardens' early years, this street was known as Kew Gardens Lane.
Reference: Barry Lewis, "Kew Gardens: Urban Village in the Big City", p. 7 (1999).