Home About Us Email Us Find It What's New Back Next

Search this site - powered by FreeFind                        
In the Beginning
The Long Island Rail Road Station
Maple Grove Cemetery and Vicinity
Kew Cards
Homes of Kew
Lefferts Boulevard and Vicinity
Queens Boulevard and Vicinity
Metropolitan Avenue and Vicinity
Kew Garden Apartments
Kew Gardens in the News
PS99 Photographs and More

Read Guestbook
Post Message
Guestbook Archives
Where Are They?

Special Feature
Kew Gardens Improvement Association
Links to Other Web Sites of Interest


Click image to enlarge
The Early Years

The first settlers came to this part of Long Island in the mid-1600's. They were Dutch, and they gave the name "Whiteput" (meaning "hollow creek") to the area around northern Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. When the English took over the Dutch Colony in New York, they changed the name to "Whitepot". Whitepot included the northernmost parts of today's Kew Gardens. The part nearest Forest Hills came to be known as Hopedale. The part nearer Jamaica became Maple Hill Park. Eventually, both were absorbed into Kew Gardens. Whitepot was part of the Township of Newtown which stretched across Central Queens from Jamaica to Long Island City. During the American Revolution, British soldiers under the command of Gen. William Howe made their encampment at the site of today's Union Turnpike and Queens Boulevard.

  • 1907 photograph from the Lucy Ballenas Collection courtesy of Carl Ballenas

Back  |  Next